Custom Search

16 July, 2010

My Host Family

After more than 24 hours travel and a brief stop in Nicaragua, I have finally arrived at my new home in San Jose, Costa Rica.  The place, the people, and the neighborhood is perfect.  I am still taking everything in, but I'll do my best to share everything I've experienced so far.



The Family:

   It seems that I will be seeing the most of Marta, a wonderful and loving catholic woman.  She is the mother of the house, a wonderful cook, and so accommodating and loving that I already feel (and am being implored to consider myself) like family.  She is not employed outside the house, and has assured me that I am welcome to do anything and everything she does--like Piglet and Pooh.
  The father, Marcus, works in the airport (customs I believe), and is equally as warm.  He reminds me of a young version of my grandpa Irwin in his diction and inflection-filled means of communication.  He left for work shortly after I arrived, but stayed long enough to enjoy breakfast with me and the rest of the family.
   Marco (please appreciate the similarity in names) is a thirty year old son, and the last person living here in the house with me.  He is a pilot for Spirit Airlines.  He's fit, intelligent, and his lifestyle parallels mine in the United States.  He keeps his laptop by his bed, rocks a blackberry of the sorts, and appreciates the finer things in life.  He's invited me to play some pick-up soccer with him and his friends (they play two nights a week) when he's not staying over in another country.  We've had quite a few laughs together.  I already consider us friends.

Rebekah, the daughter, works in the hotel industry in Costa Rica.  She recently married, and now lives a kilometer down the road with her husband Richard.  I plan to write about them when I see their home.  They are wonderful as well.

There is also a fairly regular maid, Lidieth, who is a part of the family.  I imagine I'll get a photo of her up here soon enough.


The Home:



The house has a beautiful atrium (or rather, a peristylium) full of flowers, plants, and a babbling fountain.  It brings sound, color, and balance into the entire home.  I love it.  Though it's only been a day (and I've admittedly slept a majority of it), I can tell that this will be a great experience.


I've also added photos of the family pets.  The kitten is just about the only cat I've ever enjoyed.  I actually like that it looks like a rat.  The dogs are polar opposites.  One is a very friendly and somewhat goofy stray named Lucas (I fell in love immediately).  The other dog is mean as spit, aqui se llama griñon.



And with that, I'm off to have a quick dinner with Señor Marcus.  Friends and family in the US, know that I'm doing well.

Saludos, or rather Pura Vida,

-Z

1 comment:

  1. Hey zach this sounds awesome! Thx for blogging so the rest of us can live vicariously! Loving the details :) have fun drink cerveza and wear sunscreen!

    ReplyDelete