Custom Search

20 July, 2010

The Buses Aren't So Bad

After that last post I took a nice cold shower and passed out with my legs tingling from an exhausting first day of classes.  This morning I attacked my commute with the kind of focus I usually reserve for academic testing, and it helped a great deal.  Here is my commute:

(1) from the corner in right next to my house to the bus center in ALAJUELA:
(by BUS: 5 minutes, 50 cents)
walking: 15 Minutes
(2) from the bust station in ALAJUELA to the stop in front of the SUBWAY on the SAN JOSE DIRECTO:
30 minutes, 90 cents
(3) walk from SUBWAY to PARQUE LA AUXILIADORA: 4 minutes
wait at 
(4) 0-10 minute wait at LA AUXILIADORA for the BUS to MULTIPLAZA
(5) BUS to MULTIPLAZA: 15 minutes, 60 cents

My morning commute, done alone, was an hour and twenty minutes, and cost around $1.50.  Not terrible.  Moreover, I was exponentially more comfortable with the trip.  I should be able to read or listen to music on the morning trip in just a few days.

I am still a bit worried about doing the trip backwards, but I went over the names of the buses and the routes with my host father Marcos this morning over a hearty American breakfast (Raisin Bran with a delicious sliced banana).  The traffic is also worse in the evening, but I imagine without all the mistakes I made yesterday (at least four), I should be able to make it home in under an hour and forty-five minutes.  That is, if I haul out of here immediately after class.

In other good news, my cell phone chip will be waiting for me when I get back to the house!  I will not be so alone when commuting.  And with that, class is starting...

Pura Vida,

Z




(This is a photo I found online that surprisingly resembles most of the buses through San Jose.  There are a couple of old school buses servicing some of the more distant and poorer outlying areas, but a majority of the buses are red/white/blue/gray manual transmission touring buses like the one in the photo.)

2 comments:

  1. Zach!!! I just found your blog and hope all is going well! I'm going to bookmark it so I can read up on what you're doing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen from A New Life here just checking out your blog. There's a blog buddy of mine, Julie (check the blog buddies on my site) who used to live in Alajuela, now in San Pedro suburb of San Jose anyway she's very familiar with the bus system and could probably give you some tips. Buena Suerte! Jen

    ReplyDelete