Custom Search

09 July, 2010

Certified Copies and Notarized Document in Latin America

I don’t understand Latin America’s general obsession for legal documents, but it can be a real pain.  My past experiences traveling through the region have shown me the need to have every possible document available, especially if one wants to open a bank account, cash a traveler’s check, pay a bill, or find employment.  While I have heard from many sources that the best way to find a job in Latin America is to show up in person and interview, I want to have all of my ducks in a row before I arrive.  Here’s what I am bringing:

-Passport and two photocopies (Having a photocopy of your identification is especially important if you lose or have stolen any of these documents.  It is a huge ordeal to get your identification re-issued from a consulate).

            -Drivers license and two enlarged photocopies 
            (Same reason as above, enlarged for clarity).

-COPY of social security card and birth certificate (these are very important documents and, when in possession of your passport unnecessary to bring with you for travel).

-ORIGINAL and CERTIFIED COPIES of my official college transcript, college diploma, SAT scores, AP exam results, and other certifications/documents.

The certified copies of my transcript, college diploma, SAT scores, etc., are for employment prospects.  A number of English and Spanish job postings request official or certified copies of these documents.  What happened to the good old days of taking people for their word?

I am very fortunate in that my father is an attorney.  Just about every law office has at least one notary public on staff.  I brought all of the documents in to my dad’s office and, within an hour, I had certified copies of everything courtesy of the paralegal/notary public extraordinaire Beatrice.  For anyone with a family/friend in the legal business getting a document notarized should be free of charge.  The most a notary can charge for their services is $5.00.  For more information, see http://www.commonwealth.virginia.gov/Notary/notary.cfm.  The laws are different in each state.

Unfortunately, notaries are not able to make copies of vital documents (birth, death, and marriage/divorce certificates).  These documents must be produced by the government, and therefore are more expensive and significantly slower to arrive.  To get these documents, contact the office of Vital Records in your state (VA: http://www.vdh.state.va.us/vital_records/).

I am bringing the SAT scores and AP scores with the intention of teaching for the exam.  Many test prep programs ask for proof of a 700+ performance on the section of the SAT you wish to teach, or a 4 or 5 on the AP exam for a given course.  I found a few postings online offering significantly better pay for English tutors who can teach the SAT/AP. 

Seven days until I leave for Costa Rica. 

Hasta muy pronto,

Z

No comments:

Post a Comment